Dog breeds that are more likely to suffer from bone or joint problems (such as osteoarthritis or severe back pain) can use all the help they can get to mitigate health problems now and in the future. Antler treats for dogs have been a popular choice for owners of beagles, dachshunds and other breeds prone to these ailments because these aren’t your average dog chew. You don’t have to watch your dog in so much pain, and you won’t have to wrap a pain killer into a slice of cheese either.
Antler dog chews are full of vitamins and other beneficial substances that help make a dog healthy. And unlike vitamins or medicine, no dog will turn down one of these tasty antler chews for dogs. Similar to rawhide bones, deer antler treats and those from elk last much longer and have much higher nutritional value. These are the main components of any antler treats for dogs that are helpful for a dog’s bones:
- Calcium: Helps maintain bones and teeth; assists in blood clotting and oxygen transportation.
- Chondroitin Sulfate: Reduces cholesterol; is beneficial for dogs with osteoarthritis and/or bone fractures.
- Collagen: Provides major structural protein for the body (found in bones, tendons, ligaments and cartilage)
- Copper: Helps develop red blood cells, bones and nerves.
- Glucosamine Sulfate: Eases pain and inflammation; helps rebuild damaged cartilage.
- Iron: Transports oxygen in red blood cells.
- Keratan Sulfate: Aids in restoring cartilage.
- Magnesium: Helps build bones and aids in metabolic reactions.
- Zinc: Keeps skin healthy, helps heal wounds and burns, and supports the immune system.
One of the best parts about elk antlers for dogs is the product is obtained naturally. Elk naturally lose or shed their antlers throughout their lives, and there are even more health benefits if you find antlers for dogs that still have the velvet layer intact. You often need to call ahead if you want to ensure the elk antler dog treats your order will have this.